Skate parks have had a long tradition of serving as an urban canvas for public art that inspires our youth and improves our communities. In this Paint the Park project, we’re calling on graffiti artists to design a custom mural that that compliments a feature in the park. Designs are encouraged to embrace our community and represent the project theme: “Inclusion, Expression, and Progression.”
“Art in Public inspires our youth and improves our communities. Research has shown that youth long to be recognized for their ideas, creativity and accomplishments. Street art is a visual art form that provides the youth with a way to express their fears, their hopes and their dreams. With proper guidance, this outlaw art has the potential to shift paradigms. Although graffiti is often perceived as vandalism, it remains an art form that requires skill, technique and tremendous commitment to master. Art in Public decorates our cities, attracts people, tells stories, and builds community. When we provide a safe space for artist to create, we lessen the violence in our streets and provide a positive outlet for our young people.”
- When designing your artwork consider the following themes: Inclusion, Expression, Progression
- Designs may not contain any business promotions or advertisements.
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, brands or trademarks, or depictions of illegal activity.
- Designs must be public friendly with no vulgar or lewd language or representations.
- If the final design differs greatly from the proposed design, the City of Lynchburg reserves the right to remove the artwork.
MAP OF SKATE PARK
If there is a particular section of the park you would like for your design please indicate the location on your application. Click here to view a map of the park.
For more information, please contact Megan Heatwole, Community Recreation Supervisor at (434) 455-5891 or email firstname.lastname@example.org