301 Grove St. Lynchburg, VA 24501
Phone: (434) 455-5858
3511 Memorial Avenue. Lynchburg, VA 24501
On the National Register of Historic Places, Fort Early is an American Civil War earthen fort, constructed as part of the outer defenses of Lynchburg. It played a crucial role in the defense of the city during the Battle of Lynchburg. In 1922, a one-story brick structure was built, which has undergone renovations, and is still standing today. This building can be rented for many different occasions, including weddings, receptions, dinners, birthday parties and business or club meetings. Fort Early is able to accommodate groups of up to 65 people.
This rental facility is conveniently located at the intersection of Fort Avenue and Memorial Avenue. Rental of Fort Early includes use of the tables and chairs, utilities and limited off-street parking. The recommended event capacity for Fort Early is 65 people. Fort Early features air conditioning, heating, restrooms, and a small kitchenette/bar area. Fort Early is handicapped accessible, as well.
Fort Early can be rented from 9:00am–11:00pm with a minimum rental period of four hours, except for Wednesdays and Sundays. Please contact a Customer Service representative, 434-455-5858 to arrange a tour of Fort Early.
|Day||4-Hour Rate||8-Hour Rate||Additional Hours|
The Rental Process:
It’s easy to rent Fort Early! The first step is to carefully read our rental rules to make sure Fort Early is the right place for your event. Next, you should call our office at (434) 455-5858 to check the availability on your event date. Finally, download the Fort Early Use Permit Application, complete the form and return it, with all applicable fees to our Administrative offices at 301 Grove St.
Please remember that Fort Early is available only on a first-come, first-served basis, and that you cannot be guaranteed a reservation until all fees are paid and your final permit is issued. There are also rules you must follow when renting Fort Early.
- Any pre-event preparations or post-event clean up shall be part of the rental period.
- The renter is responsible for returning all tables and chairs to their designated places.
- All decorations, equipment or supplies must be removed from the facility at the conclusion of the event.
- The use of nails, tape, tacks and staples is prohibited.
- Postings, decorations, banners or other material is not allowed outside of Fort Early.
- No cooking is allowed within the Fort Early building; kitchen facilities can be used for food preparation and heating only.
- Bird seed is the only material that can be thrown outside of Fort Early.
- An ABC Banquet License is required if alcohol will be served. Phone the Alcohol Beverage Control Commission at (434) 582-5136 for more info.
- No alcohol is allowed outside of the building.
- Please discuss your parking needs with our representative.
- The renter is responsible for any damage or loss as a consequence of his/her event.
- Rentals must be processed seven days prior to the rental date.
- Fort Early rental hours are from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm.