Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is accepting submissions from businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals to display at the first annual Festival of Lights, a nightly, drive/walk through holiday lights event at Riverside Park to be held from December 1 through January 1. Various businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals from the Lynchburg and surrounding areas are encouraged to apply.
About the Festival of Lights
Join Lynchburg Parks and Recreation as we light up Riverside Park for the first annual Festival of Lights! This free, family-friendly attraction will open nightly from 5:00pm – 9:00pm, December 1, 2016, through January 1, 2017, and will include over 30 light displays from various Lynchburg businesses and organization as you drive through Riverside Park.
In addition to the displays, there will also be a competition held for the title of ‘Favorite Display’. Attendees will be able to vote online for their favorite display, beginning December 1 and ending January 1. The winner of this award will receive bragging rights and their very own plaque to display with pride.
More information on event logistics will be forwarded to participating businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals after the application deadline.
The Festival of Lights is FREE to attend and will be held at Riverside Park, from 5:00pm – 9:00pm nightly, December 1 through January 1.
Rules of Entry and Display
Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is now accepting applications from businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals to display at the Festival of Lights. Below are the requirements of doing so:
1. Your Application and Plot Fee must be paid by the deadline (11/15/16).
2. You may advertise your business/organization/club in your display through the use of yard signs, banners, or other creative mediums, but you may not use your plot just for promotional opportunities (i.e. All advertisements, no lights). This event is to offer holiday entertainment to the public and not meant as a means for promotion.
3. Your display must be family-friendly. Any allusions to vulgarities will be taken down immediately without refund.
4. Your display must be holiday-themed.
5. You may utilize props, blow-up decor, or other items, in addition to lights, in your display.
6. You may not nail, drill, staple, or cut into any of the trees that are included in your plot for your display. You may utilize a no-harm hanging method.
7. You must sign a waiver prior to erecting their display that states we are not responsible for any of their things left on the premises. In addition, the park may be closed should we have inclement weather during the month of December.
8. You will not be required to have insurance UNLESS stated otherwise. It is going to be determined on a case by case basis. The determining factors will be based on the size of the display.
Note: Anyone can apply to enter a display, however, that does not mean they will be approved. Should the scene they choose not be approved; they will receive a refund for their application fee.
Plot Sizes & Benefits
There are three plot sizes to choose from when applying to display for the Festival of Lights. Learn more about these plots below.
Basic Size Plot
$50 Plot Reservation Fee | Includes a 12X20 Plot of Grassy Area with or without trees. This level also includes the opportunity for on-site promotion, entry of your display into the Festival of Lights competition, and logo recognition on the Festival of Lights webpage, hosted on the Parks and Recreation website.
Medium Size Plot
$75 Plot Reservation Fee | Includes 1 of 6 locations: Riverside Sprayground, Playground next to Sprayground, Basketball Court, 1 of 2 Picnic Shelters, Tennis Courts, and Gazebo. This level also includes the opportunity for on-site promotion, entry of your display into the Festival of Lights competition, and logo recognition on the Festival of Lights webpage, hosted on the Parks and Recreation website, as well as the official Festival of Lights poster and Parks and Recreation social media outlets used for promotion of the event.
Large Size Plot
$100 Plot Reservation Fee | Includes 1 location: Old Riverside Park Pool. This level also includes the opportunity for on-site promotion, entry of your display into the Festival of Lights competition, and logo recognition on the Festival of Lights webpage, hosted on the Parks and Recreation website, as well as the official Festival of Lights poster and street banner to be hung over main street prior to the event. We will also offer logo recognition and recognition of sponsorship through the Parks and Recreation social media outlets used for promotion of the event.
Reserving Your Space
If you would like to apply to display at the Festival of Lights, please take a look at the plot fees listed below. Depending on your preferred plot size, you will be required to pay one of the following fees to submit and complete your application. This fee can be paid online here, or in person at Miller Center. All fees include access to electricity.
Please note: payments will be promptly refunded in full if you are not selected. If your application is submitted after November 1 , A $10 late charge will be added to the application fee. Late applications and special requests will be considered on a first-paid, first-served basis as space permits. No refunds will be given after December 1st.
If you would like to apply to display at the Festival of Lights, please complete the form linked below.
Contact: Venus Hamlett | Community Recreation Programmer, Miller Center & Art Studio | Phone: (434) 455-5874 | Email: Venus. Hamlett@Lynchburgva.gov