Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is proud to host our first song writers competition! This friendly competition is designed to nurture the musical talent of songwriters of all levels and promote local and regional talent through the art of songwriting. Established and aspiring songwriters of Lynchburg and the surrounding area are encouraged to apply. Due to technical complications, the official deadline for entries has been extended to April 9, 2019.
- Application deadline: April 7, 2019
- Finalists announced by April 19, 2019
- Finalist Performance: Friday, April 26, 2019
A performance competition for selected finalists will be held Friday, April 26, 2019, from 8:00pm–11:00pm at the Miller Center Theater. Doors open at 7:30pm. Friends, family, and community members are encouraged to come out and support the local talent. The cover charge for spectators is $5 in advance/ $8 at the door. Proceeds will go toward the cash prize for winners. .
- All participants must submit an online application and pay the $10 entry fee to enter. All entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Songwriters may submit up to two original songs for the $10 fee. Only one song will be selected.
- All entries must include full lyrics for each song submitted and a recording. Recording quality will not be judged.
- For mail-in entries, it is preferred that entrant put all entries on one CD or tape, and it is required that the song(s) for submission and name of entrant be clearly marked on the CD, tape, or video. It is entrant’s responsibility to ensure that the submitted song(s) are complete and playable.
- Entry materials (CDs, tapes, and videos) submitted will not be returned to the entrant. Parks & Recreation is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, incomplete, or misappropriated entries.
- All entries submitted must be original songs and shall not infringe any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. Songs may have multiple co-writers, but only one name should be designated as the Entrant on the entry form. All songwriters must be listed on the entry form in the field requesting the names of the songwriters. Entrant shall, by entering, indemnify and hold Lynchburg Parks & Recreation harmless from and against any claims inconsistent with the foregoing.
- All genres of music are accepted.
- Songs may be performed by someone else, but the writer will be considered the winner of the prize.
- Entries will be narrowed down to no more than 15 finalists by a panel of judges.
- There will be two panels of judges, one for the initial recording screening and one for the finalist performance.
Contest judging will be based on:
- Song structure & composition
- Music & melody
- Performance (only for performance finalists)
Announcing the Winners
- Finalists will be announced on social media and the parks & recreation website and notified by phone or email.
- Final winners will be announced following the performance.
- Performers who wish to be accompanied by other musicians must make prior arrangements with the parks & recreation event contact.
- Vocal mics, a piano, and an instrument cable which connects to our theatrical sound system are provided for the live performance.
- Performance order will be announced to final contestants in advance.
- Prizes will be given to first, second, and third place winners. There will also be a people’s choice award.
- Prizes will be announced on the website soon.
For more information, please contact Megan Heatwole, Community Recreation Supervisor, at (434) 455-5891 or email email@example.com