- Programs & Activities
Join Lynchburg Parks and Recreation as we light up Riverside Park for the third annual Celebration of Lights! This free, family-friendly attraction will open nightly from 5:00pm–9:00pm, December 7–31, 2018, and will include light displays from various Lynchburg businesses and organizations as you drive through Riverside Park. Lynchburg businesses, schools, and organizations are all encouraged to submit a light display that represents our beautiful Hill City. The deadline for display submissions is November 1, 2018.
Celebration of Lights is FREE to attend and will be held at Riverside Park, from 5:00pm–9:00pm nightly, December 7–31. This is a drive-through event, with exception of the specialty event nights on 12/7, 12/14, and 12/20.
There will be three special event nights. On December 7th, the Celebration of Lights will kick off with a Grand Opening celebration, featuring food trucks and festive music, while Parks and Recreation staff distributes holiday wishes to the riders. December 14th is Pedestrian Night allowing the community to walk through Riverside Park and slowly take in the ambiance of lit displays. December 20th is a magical night with carriage rides hosted by Lexington Carriage Company, horses, and hot cocoa. Sip on a cup of hot chocolate, and sink into the experience.
Th 12/7 Grand Opening
Th 12/14 Pedestrian Night (no vehicles)
Th 12/20 Carriage Rides ($6 per person)
Carriage rides will be offered on a first come, first serve basis. Register in advance to ensure you get a seat!
Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is now accepting applications from businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals to display at the Celebration of Lights. All those wishing to build and enter their own display must submit an application. All applications are subject to approval and displays must adhere to the following specifications.
1. Your Application must be received by the deadline (11/1/2018).
2. You may advertise your business/organization/club in your display through the use of yard signs, banners, or other creative mediums, but you may not use your plot just for promotional opportunities (i.e. All advertisements, no lights). This event is to offer holiday entertainment to the public and not meant as a means for promotion.
3. Your display must be family-friendly. Any allusions to vulgarities will be taken down immediately without refund.
4. Your display must be holiday themed, and fit with the theme of Lynchburg Winter Wonderland
5. Your display must light up using waterproof, outdoor, LED lights only.
6. Your display must as large or larger than a standard piece of plywood – 4’ x 8’
7. You may utilize props, blow-up decor, or other items, in addition to lights, in your display.
8. You may not nail, drill, staple, or cut into any of the trees that are included in your plot for your display. You may utilize a no-harm hanging method.
9. You must sign a waiver prior to erecting the display that states we are not responsible for any of their things left on the premises. In addition, the park may be closed should we have inclement weather during the month of December.
10. You will not be required to have insurance UNLESS stated otherwise. It is going to be determined on a case by case basis. The determining factors will be based on the size of the display.
Wishing to honor a loved one this holiday season? Purchase a snowflake that will be hung in the park through the month of December, as a beautiful, sparkling reminder of your loved one. Your loved ones name will also be recognized on our website.
Step 1. Fill out the snowflake application so that we have the information needed.
Step 2: Click on the size you wish to purchase below and make your payment.
If you would like to apply to display at the Celebration of Lights, please complete the form linked below. Please note, anyone can apply to enter a display, however, that does not mean the display will be approved.
If you would like to volunteer with Celebration of Lights, click the link below to learn more.
Opening night festivities on Friday, December 7th may cause heavy traffic on Rivermont Avenue. Residents who live off of Rivermont Ave. near the park are encouraged be home by 5:00pm. The recommended detour for drivers commuting from Boonsboro or from downtown is Bedford Avenue.
Contact: Rachel Smith | Community Recreation Programmer, Miller Center | Phone: (434) 455-5874 | Email: Rachel.Smith@Lynchburgva.gov