501 Fifth Street Lynchburg, VA 24504
Biggers Park is located in the Garland Hill neighborhood. The shady park is completely fenced and is surrounded by a lovely old stone wall with three access points for neighborhood residents. This neighborhood park is designed for family-friendly activities and provides recreation for all age groups.
The stone wall and steps along Fifth Street are the only remnants of the former Biggers School which was located at 5th and Clay Streets. The school, built in 1881, was the largest in Lynchburg when it opened in 1881 with a capacity of 305 students. The school was named in honor of local Lawyer Abram Frederick Biggers (1838-1870), first superintendent of Lynchburg and Campbell County Schools in 1870. The architect of the school was Lynchburg City Engineer August Forsberg, and John P. Pettyjohn was the contractor. In 1967 the school was demolished and Biggers Neighborhood Park was built soon after on the same site, using a combination of local and federal funding. There is a historical marker which stands along Fifth Street in front of the former site of the school.
- Basketball court
- Picnic area