About the Festival of Lights
Join Lynchburg Parks and Recreation as we light up Riverside Park for the second annual Festival of Lights! This free, family-friendly attraction will open nightly from 5:00pm – 9:00pm, December 1, 2017, through January 1, 2018, and will include light displays from various Lynchburg businesses and organization as you drive through Riverside Park. The theme for this year’s Festival of Lights is “Lynchburg Winter Wonderland.” Lynchburg businesses, schools, and organizations are all encouraged to submit a light display that represents our beautiful Hill City. The deadline for display submissions is November 1, 2017.
The Festival of Lights is FREE to attend and will be held at Riverside Park, from 5:00pm – 9:00pm nightly, December 1 through January 1. This is a drive-through event.
Participating Organizations & Event Map
This list will be updated as organizations are approved. Stay tuned!
Become a Sponsor of Festival of Lights
Parks and Recreation is now offering sponsorship package opportunities. These packages are designed to help businesses or groups maximize exposure during this holiday event. As a sponsor, your business or group will support a community event that offers the citizens of Lynchburg and surrounding counties the opportunity to celebrate the holidays and explore the heritage and uniqueness of Lynchburg. Festival of Lights marketing reached over 13,000 people in its very first year. The park will be lit and open to the public for 124 hours during the month of December, in addition to regular daylight hours, allowing for all day exposure of sponsorship signage. Take this opportunity to be a part of Lynchburg’s best new community holiday tradition.
Visit the link below to view our sponsorship document and direct all questions or inquiries to Rachel Nester, Community Recreation Programmer (434) 455-5874.
Apply to Display at the Festival of Lights
Rules of Entry and Display
Lynchburg Parks & Recreation is now accepting applications from businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals to display at the Festival of Lights. Below are the requirements of doing so:
1. Your Application must be received by the deadline (11/01/17).
2. You may advertise your business/organization/club in your display through the use of yard signs, banners, or other creative mediums, but you may not use your plot just for promotional opportunities (i.e. All advertisements, no lights). This event is to offer holiday entertainment to the public and not meant as a means for promotion.
3. Your display must be family-friendly. Any allusions to vulgarities will be taken down immediately without refund.
4. Your display must be holiday themed, and fit with the theme of Lynchburg Winter Wonderland
5. Your display must light up using waterproof outdoor LED lights only.
6. Your display must as large or larger than a standard piece of plywood – 4’x8’
7. You may utilize props, blow-up decor, or other items, in addition to lights, in your display.
8. You may not nail, drill, staple, or cut into any of the trees that are included in your plot for your display. You may utilize a no-harm hanging method.
9. You must sign a waiver prior to erecting their display that states we are not responsible for any of their things left on the premises. In addition, the park may be closed should we have inclement weather during the month of December.
10. You will not be required to have insurance UNLESS stated otherwise. It is going to be determined on a case by case basis. The determining factors will be based on the size of the display.
If you would like to apply to display at the Festival of Lights, please complete the form linked below.
Note: Anyone can apply to enter a display, however, that does not mean they will be approved. Should the scene they choose not be approved; they will receive a refund for their application fee.
Contact: Rachel Nester | Community Recreation Programmer, Miller Center | Phone: (434) 455-5874 | Email: Rachel.Nester@Lynchburgva.gov